Monday, August 6, 2012


A Long Way Down    Post 2

As I read the book there are two related questions or themes that keeps recurring in the novel and they are what is the purpose of life and why should I keep living. These are two powerful questions the author throws at the reader. I think the first question is different for every character in the book and for everyone in the world.  I think Jess’ reason to keep living is she needs to learn how to establish relationships with people because she hasn’t been able to keep many relationships. Martin’s reason for living is that he made a mistake and he needs to learn how to recover from it.  I think the second question relates to the first because most people live for connections to others which are also a purpose and possibly a necessity of life.  I think all four characters need more connections to people and they are making these connections with each other.  I believe that the relationships they develop among themselves will keep them from jumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment