Monday, September 3, 2012

A Long Way Down 1:

When I fist started to read A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby the first feeling I got was depressed. After reading about how Jess, Martin, Maureen, and J.J. want to jump, I the first thought I got was, "What will happen tot he people that still love them? How badly will they be hurting at the thought of a loved one doing suicide?" That was the first thought I had because I am very family oriented and always think of others before myself. Jess wanted to do suicide because her boyfriend broke up with her from being too crazy about him. Martin cheated on his wife, with a 15 year old, and was thrown into jail, basically kissing his show and stardom goodbye. Maureen has a son who is mentally ill and does not remember or even react to anything she does, making her feel like he doesn't love her. And J.J. wanted his band to go farther than it did, along with that his girlfriend broke up with him. All of these are the reasons that made them want to think about suicide being the only option left for them. I felt like the only person that actually had a reason to have thoughts of suicide would have been Martin, since he cannot see his two daughters again due to custody, the others I felt like their reason could have easily been solved without even the thought of suicide. I predict that either Jess, Maureen, or J.J. have another reason why they would like to kill themselves, but they are just keeping it to themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment