Saturday, July 14, 2012

Paper Towns 3

Throughout this whole book, the outstanding metaphors stood out to me the most. It made me not only think about the characters in the book, but also people anywhere around the world. The metaphors that stood out to me the most are the balloon metaphor (pg. 104-105), the cracking vessel metaphor (pg. 302 ), and the metaphor throughout the whole book about paper people and paper towns. The balloon metaphor is interpreted in my own life because I am the balloon sometimes. I get fed up with things and go to friends for support. Even though I have it hard the friend I'm venting to always has more on their plate. They have to help deal with my problems when they, too, have their own problems they have to face. The next metaphor, the vessel, reminds me of just life in general. Everyone is born a vessel and as we grow up, things change. Some people either lose a relative, lose a friend, or even like I did, move out of your hometown and lose a lot of friends. Even though it was 6 years ago, my vessel is cracked because all my childhood memories are over an hour away, and I no longer get to laugh over our past with the people I shared the memories with. Finally, the paper metaphor is the most important reference. All book long, Margo mentioned paper towns and paper people. Here in Watertown, all you hear is people -mainly girls- calling each other "fake." Fake is just another word for paper. When Margo says, "I look down and thought about how I was made of paper. I was the flimsy-foldable person, not everyone else." This made me realize clearer that not the people who are called fake, but the people who call people fake are actually the ones "made of paper." 

All in all, Paper Towns was one of the best books I've read. It was suspenseful, connectable, and extremely well plotted. I would recommend this book to any young adult reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment