Sunday, July 1, 2012

Paper Towns

I'm only a few chapters into Paper Towns, but my first impressions of Margo is that in a way, she is an outcast. In the book, many feel that she is beautiful, popular, and spontaneous. However, in my opinion she has a mysterious demeanor that she hides. It's like there is another side to her story that no one knows about. Another thing I found interesting was that she isn't close friends with Quentin anymore once they enter highschool. When they were little, they always found time for eachother and always played together. Highschool changed her, and she wanted her reputation to stay above and beyond the rest of the students. She found new friends who were, as Quentin states, "her caste level" and almost completely erased Quentin from her new life. However, I had to add to my impession of her when she snuck into his room at midnight. After I read about the events that occured that night, I also had to conclude that Margo was selfish. Quentin was her last resort so she had no other choice but to involve him in her adventure. In other words, Margo only needed Quentin when she had no one else. It was like that wall vanished between them when she needed something from him. Also, she even acted like her and Quentin were best friends when she snuck into his room and started talking to him, which annoyed me even more. Quentin has feelings, and Margo pushed all of them aside and acted like they had just had a conversation a few hours ago. However, I also must take into consideration that Margo has something to hide, and that may be the reason that she acted so nonchalantly with Quentin.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your analysis of Margo. I also found her to be a selfish character and really sympathized with Quentin. He seems so dedicated to her throughout the novel as he desperately searches for her. While he is extremely worried, we as readers get to see the flip side and how Margo doesn't think much of how what she is doing affects those around her.

    ReplyDelete